Tuesday, December 28, 2010

So, THAT happened...

I really didn't take the blizzard forecast seriously as it seems the weather people always over-dramatize a flake of snow.  But, I guess they were right this time!  Even as the snow started to fall Sunday afternoon, I went outside to take pictures, thinking I had plenty of time and it would be a pleasant afternoon walk.  Not so...after only walking four blocks down 2nd Avenue, I quickly realized this was not going to be the usual friendly snowfall, as the wind was already driving crystal ice shards into my eyes.  So, I hunkered down for the night with a stockpile of canned soup and DVDs.

At 10pm, this was the view from the front door:



Flickr user Irene Rx captured the thunder and lightning that accompanied the blizzard in this cool video.

And, the aftermath on 1st Avenue:

Looking down First Ave from 6th Street

Doesn't look like those bike or bus lanes will be seen again until April.

Meanwhile, on Avenue A...

Looking down Ave A towards 7th Street

What a nice day to walk down the middle of the street, the only traffic being flocks of pigeons and the occasional tow truck and plow trying to dig out the six or so stranded buses...

Videos:
Freeing a bus on Avenue A & 7th Street: Part 1
Freeing a bus on Avenue A & 7th Street: Part 2
Freeing a bus on Avenue A & 3rd Street

See more snow pics here.

Happy shoveling!

UPDATE:  see footage from Hurricane Irene, which struck on August 27-28, 2011, here.

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful work..Thanks!!
    This was very helpful.
    I can show this to my boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Peoria when they were talking about the storm coming to New York and I said to my parents: "It's never as bad as they say it's going to be." Whoops! Great photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Marty - yeah, I really wasn't expecting anything out of the ordinary until it happened. The thunder and lightning was really cool and I have to admit I enjoyed most of the ordeal only because I didn't have to work or be anywhere. Glad you made it back! Sounds like air travel was (is) an absolute nightmare.

    ReplyDelete